Reporting to the Fleet Manager, the Heavy-Duty Mechanic/Technician will work out of the Spruce Grove facility.
RDE Group was founded in 2012 out of a marketplace need to get projects done right (the first time) and completed effectively with a great customer experience.
This position has a direct impact on the company’s overall financial success and will perform repairs and PMs for company equipment as required.
The successful candidate will support the RDE Group of Companies values.
This position is required to, but not limited to, perform the following:
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, repair/rebuild, and maintain all RDE Group Heavy Duty On-Road, Heavy Equipment and Light Vehicles.
- Ensure that CVIP and annual inspections on all RDE Equipment are completed on schedule
- Work with the Fleet Manager and Maintenance Coordinator to prioritize and review all repair and maintenance requests to meet individual Service Line demands.
- Perform all needed repairs and maintenance in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ensure quality repairs and double-check before equipment is returned to service.
- Perform troubleshooting and diagnostics to plan and strategize repairs and parts needed to maximize efficiency.
- Utilize computer based diagnostic equipment to troubleshoot all types of equipment.
- Collaborate with the Maintenance Coordinator to keep detailed and accurate service reports, records, and all necessary documentation.
- Perform any related and/or additional duties as assigned.
- Travel as necessary using company provided service truck to project site locations.
Completion of High School or GED equivalent is preferred
A Journeyman Heavy Duty Technician/Mechanic Red Seal Certification is required. At a minimum, a valid Class 5 license (or equivalent) is required with a clean Driver’s Abstract. Candidates with a Class 1 or Class 3 with airbrakes (or equivalent) will be considered an asset.
Basic knowledge and skills In MS Windows and MS Office are an asset.
Proficiency with computer based diagnostic programs and software
At least 3-5 years of experience in a shop/field setting is required. Experience repairing loaders, haul trucks, graders, dozers, semi-trucks, trucks and trailers is required.
Must have full working knowledge of all tools and parts necessary to repair Heavy Duty Vehicles and equipment. Candidates with welding and fabrication experience will be considered an asset.
Special knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Safety sensitive position that requires pre-employment drug and alcohol testing, fitness, and audiometric testing.
- Strong commitment to safety, including personal safety, safety of co-workers, and protection of RDE Group/Allspec property in accordance and compliance with company practices, industry standards, and government regulations.
- Excellent time-management skills.
- Experience and adaptability to changing timelines, workloads, and priorities.
- Good working knowledge of basic welding and fabrication.
- First Aid, WHMIS, CSTS certification is preferred. Candidates with TDG certification or Q endorsement air brake are an asset.
- Strong ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Effective communicator with good interpersonal skills.
- Focus oriented, with a strong attention to detail.
- Promote and assist in the effective implementation of RDE Group’s Safety programs and processes.
- Generally, the work is performed during standard office hours, however, overtime may be required occasionally to meet deadlines or complete backlog.
- Work environment in the shop involves some exposures to hazards and/or physical risks, which requires following basic safety precautions.
- Lifting up to 23 kgs (50 lbs)
- Two-man lift required: over 23 kgs, if the weight of the part is beyond physical capability
- Yard area may have uneven ground, occasional obstacles, or hidden hazards that require attention at all times
- Work may involve some moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as occasional temperature changes, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, odors, distractions, and/or loud noises.
- Risk of cuts from use of tools and components
- Ergonomic issues, repetitive motions from use of power tools, etc.
- Work may also be outdoors; employees must have ability to adapt to all working and weather conditions.
- Work is associated with frequent interruptions with conflicting priorities, as well as short notice changes with short deadlines.
- The use of Personal Protective Equipment is required, including dressing accordingly to the weather and seasonal conditions.
- Work consists of lifting heavy objects, walking and/or standing for long periods of time, and performing strenuous physical labor under unpredictable weather and field conditions
- Work environment involves exposure to hazards or physical risks, such as working in confined areas, around civilian vehicular traffic, or around various heavy equipment, which requires following basic safety precautions.